Saturday, March 6, 2021

Jack's Peas and Eggs Soup (zuppa di piselli e uova)

Italians have traditions that tend to originate from the Great Depression. Sometimes, the traditions can be traced back to regions of origin in Italy. One such delicacy is Peas and Eggs soup. Now I have to admit, when I heard about it, I was thinking it was going to be a typical Depression Era soup. However, to my surprise, it was very unique. I learned about the soup from a friend of mine at work. He told me that the origin of this recipe is Sicilian. Since my family came from Sicily, I asked if they heard of the soup. To my surprise, Joe was correct. 

I decided to make soup for my family. I felt a bit of skepticism. Amazingly, when they tried the soup, they had the same reaction. It was delicious. The soup is easy to make, and you will have will most likely have skeptics at first. However, once the try it, they will say, "Can I have seconds on the Peas and Eggs?"

Ingredients

4-6 Eggs

Potatoes (Red are best)

Garlic (4 or 5 large cloves)

Cracked Pepper and Course Salt (Tsp each) 

Yellow or White Onion

Olive Oil 

2 cans of Peas - (Sweet)

Optional - Garlic and Onion Powder tsp each


Preparation

Drain the juice from the peas in a 3-4 quart saucepan. Fill 3/4 of the can with water. (Each can) Do not use too much water. The pea juice is your base and you do not want to dilute it too much. Next, thinly dice your onion. Add this to the broth. Thinly slice the garlic cloves. Do not mince. You want thin slices as part of your broth. Peel the potatoes. (I live the skin on) You want to make small cubes for your soup. Add two-three tablespoons of olive oil. 

Bring the soup to a boil. Cook the potatoes so they are tender. You don't want them to be mush. 8-10 minute boil should be enough for them to be tender. Once tender, add the peas. Stir and add your seasoning. You always want room for adding salt and pepper after the soup is complete. Be careful not to add too much salt. 

The potatoes will add a creaminess to the soup. Generally, I have to add another 3/4 to a cup of water. You need the soup base at a boil to cook the eggs. You will crack 4-6 eggs on top of the soup. The whites will separate and you will boil for an additional 2-3 minutes. It's okay to have a firm yolk. Some people like the yolk to be a bit runny. I like it both ways. 

Immediately serve once complete. This recipe can easily serve 4-6 people. 

(One more thing - Jack's Peas and Eggs is dedicated to my friend's father. Since this is a cooking blog that encourages Dads to cook with the children, I can't think of a better example than the homage a son gives to his father by naming a recipe after him) 


No comments:

Post a Comment